Friday, March 30, 2007

quote

As many of you know, I'm a gal who can never resist a book about plagues. Currently I'm reading The Great Mortality: An Intimate History of the Black Death, the Most Devastating Plague of All Time by John Kelly. It's been slow reading because it's a historical account of the plague, circa 1348-1349, rather than sensationalized plague story. I'm enjoying it, but it's hardly a must read.
I did however, come across a delicious quote for just me:

"Strengthening the it-can't-happen-here mood was the fact that the plague was ravaging France, and the insular English considered the French strange even for foreigners; as one contemporary English writer famously noted, your average Frenchman was effeminate, walked funny, and spent too much time fussing with his hair."


No comments: