Friday, June 1, 2007

Man and Boy

Man and Boy by Tony Parsons was not exactly my cup of tea. It's not that it was a bad book, but I didn't really find myself liking the main character much at all. OK, I thought he was basically a complete jerk but I also knew that he wasn't written to be a complete jerk, so the book left me out of sorts. I can't figure out why people have recommended it so highly. It wasn't a complete waste of time; there were a few touching passages and humorous parts. I fully understand that some people are going to like this much more than I did. This book would be placed in a male-angst confessional novel category, which I now know is not a category I enjoy. Man and Boy was originally published in 1999 and is a short 353 pages long. I currently need some light reading that is inconsequential, so I went ahead and started Parsons' Man and Wife since I have it.

No comments: