Friday, November 23, 2007

"The End of Hardbacks?"

Stephanie at Stephanie's Confessions of a Book-a-holic had an interesting post this week titled "The End of Hardbacks?":
"It seems that unless there is a "guaranteed profitable hardback market", then all books that are launched will now be in paperback format, and Picador is estimating that at least 80% of books will be released this way."
Then she posed the question:
"Do you think this would be a good thing or a bad thing?"
I've been thinking about this blog entry ever since I read it, knowing that I personally feel that ending hardbacks is a very bad thing. While I used to get paperbacks all the time and eagerly anticipated when a hardcover would be released in paperback, now I tend to get many authors in hardcover. When a beloved author releases a new book I will always look to get the hardcover, if at all possible. Any more I often look for used hardcovers that can be purchased as inexpensively as paperback. The print in hardcovers tends to be a bit larger too, and thus it is currently easier for me to read. Hardbacks are also more durable and last longer. I will concede that some of the larger paperback editions are also acceptable and I purchase them.
===============================================
We're quickly approaching the time when I need to make a list of the best books I've read in 2007. This should be interesting. I may not be able to put definite numbers on them (i.e. my number one choice in 2007 is...) but I can probably come up with a top ten list.

No comments: