Thursday, June 19, 2008

Goodnight, Irene


Goodnight, Irene by Jan Burke was originally published in 1993. My paperback copy has 351 pages. It's an ok mystery. I'm just beginning to work my way through a huge stack of mysteries passed along to me by my father-in-law after he read them. Most of them will likely be ok, so I'm dropping the rating system for them unless something is very bad or very good.

Synopsis from back cover:
"For thirty-five years the identity of the dismembered woman found under the Las Piernas pier has remained a mystery. What secret did she take to her grave? Southern California reporter Irene Kelly has uncovered a maze of forensic records and confidential files that suggest a motive far more sinister than anyone imagined. The discovery has brought her close to Detective Frank Harriman, and closer still to exposing a killer who will resort to anything to keep his secrets buried -- and Irene silenced forever."


Quotes:

"He loved to watch fat women dance. I guess O'Connor's last night on the planet was a happy one because that night he had an eyeful of the full-figured." pg. 1, opening

"I sometimes heard about people knowing right away that someone they loved has died, that they feel the dead person's spirit leave or something. O'Connor stuck around." pg. 5

"I figure the intended target of the bombing may have been O'Connor himself or his son. Any other possibilities became a lot less likely this afternoon when those shots blasted through your window." pg. 27

"Maybe he has a lot to lose....And maybe he got worried about people who might be persistent enough to figure it out, like O'Connor. You know he never would have let it rest. Well I won't either. Maybe he knows that." pg. 203

No comments: