Friday, January 30, 2009

Pretty Greasy

Pretty in Pink happened to be on last night and I sort of half watched it again while reading. What I want to know is why on earth did Andie (Molly Ringwald) think that Blaine (Andrew McCarthy) was a better choice, over her friend, Duckie (Jon Cryer)? Even when the movie was released I was too old for it's demographics, however, I don't remember questioning why Andie chose Blaine over Duckie. But now... What was up with that? The lame line of Blaine's that was something like, "I always believed in you, I just didn't believe in myself" was totally a come-on line and any street savvy girl would have known that. And, please, Blaine declaring he loves her and will always love her... based on what? I didn't see any depth in their brief relationship that would merit that declaration. I would have told her to stick with Duckie. Actually, I would have told her that pinning all her hopes, dreams, and wishes on something as inconsequential as a prom is stupid and senseless. I also would have advised her to not wear that dress she fashioned out of the two dresses. She could have put something better together from the two dresses.

I do have a soft spot in my heart for Molly Ringwald, though. My sister, the high powered executive, who once wrote this diary entry, actually looked like Molly Ringwald with brown hair when this movie came out. Really. She looked more related to Molly than me. She could have been her older sister. When I watch Molly Ringwald in her movies, I see my sister.

As long as I'm at it, let's talk Grease. Again, I was already out of high school when Grease was released (just barely) but I clearly remember wondering at the time, when watching it, why on earth Sandy (Olivia Newton-John) had to change in order to get Danny (John Travolta) who, really, wasn't that great of a catch. I mean I get that it's just a movie and a rockin' musical, etc., but the actual message of Sandy changing herself in order to get Danny is... stupid and silly and sends a bad message to girls.

No comments: