Thursday, June 10, 2010

Admission

It is with a wee bit of embarrassment and consternation that I am going to admit I recently discovered the following:
I love Cro
cs.
They aren't even real Crocs but some inexpensive knock-off. I know, I know... I have come late to this party - way too late. All the other guests have gone home and there's only the confetti left on the floor. You can't even easily find the knock-offs anymore. I avoided Crocs like the plague when they were the rage and found everywhere, easily available in a rainbow of colors and assorted sizes in every store. See, I thought they were ugly and stupid looking so I never even considered trying on a pair. I most certainly never thought I'd wear a pair. I have only very recently realized the error of my ways and embraced fake-Crocs.

It went down like this...
We were packing to move and Just Me had an almost new dark blue pair from several years ago. She was going to just toss them out or into the give-away bag. Instead, I tried them on and... oh....oh my.... the love was almost instantaneous. They are roomy and cushy-soft. I've been wearing them whenever possible for a month now. You can hose them down, for goodness sakes. If you go through a puddle, they won't become sopping wet. They can be easily slipped on and off. Just Me laughed at me when she realized how often I was wearing them. They are still ugly and stupid looking, but I don't care. They sort of remind me of Earth Shoes. The last time I loved shoes like this was back in the seventies when I had a real thing for Dr. Scholl's exercise sandals, the original wooden ones, but even those were never immediately comfortable.

It's probably for the best that the craze for Crocs has come and gone. I know I won't be replacing these when they wear out - unless I can find some very inexpensive source for fake-Crocs. I certainly won't pay much for a pair of "foam" shoes, even if they have all sorts of great attributes. But, if I'm honest, I have to admit that they are so very, very comfortable.

No comments: