Saturday, August 28, 2010

Mockingjay


Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
Hunger Games Series #3
Scholastic, August 2010
Hardcover, 400 pages
ISBN-13: 9780439023511
Young Adult novel
highly recommended

Synopsis
Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she’s made it out of the bloody arena alive, she’s still not safe. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge. Who do they think should pay for the unrest? Katniss. And what’s worse, President Snow has made it clear that no one else is safe either. Not Katniss’s family, not her friends, not the people of District 12. Powerful and haunting, this thrilling final installment of Suzanne Collins’s groundbreaking The Hunger Games trilogy promises to be one of the most talked about books of the year.
My Thoughts:

Mockingjay is the 3rd and final book in Collins' successful YA Hunger Games series.
Although I don't anticipate having any spoilers, if you are planning to read the series, feel free to skip my thoughts.

A whole lot was expected of Collins in this third book - and she does deliver in many ways, but also falls a little short in others. She does succeed in wrapping up the story line and draws it all to a conclusion that will satisfy may fans of the series. Although I found the whole "team Gale or team Peeta" mania, well, silly, I can see where it could be a burning question for YA readers. I don't have any problems with how she concluded the story.

Part of my problem with the completed series is two fold.

My first problem is the fact that Katniss doesn't seem to grow as a character at all in this third book. While this could be understandable, I was expecting a greater indication of growth and maturity after the first two books. Mockingjay is actually much more plot driven than character driven.

My second issue all stems, and perhaps unfairly, back to the fact that this is a YA book. The plot and language are simplified. It is a quick and easy read. (Don't let the number of pages throw you off. It's not a densely pack book. The type and spaces between the type are both large. This time the simplified language and large type were noticeable to me.) No matter how many adult fans are out there, this is still a YA book. And, again, Collins doesn't break any new ground with this series - the plot has been done before. All in all, I think The Hunger Games was the best book in the series.

In the end the Hunger Games is a very successful YA series, I would say for ages 14 and up due to the violence. Adults may prefer to read Battle Royale. I think I am done with YA books now.
highly recommended

Quotes:

I stare down at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather. opening

The memories swirl as I try to sort out what is true and what is false. What series of events led me to be standing in the ruins of my city? pg.4

The citizens of District 12 had no organized resistance movement of their own. No say in any of this. They only had the misfortune to have me. Some survivors think it's good luck, though, to be free of District 12 at last. To have escaped the endless hunger and oppression, the perilous mines, the lash of our final Head Peacekeeper, Romulus Thread. pg. 6-7

What am I going to do?
To become the Mockingjay... could any good I do possibly outweigh the damage? Who can I trust to answer that question? Certainly not the crew in 13. I swear, now that my family and Gale's are out of harm's way, I could run away. Except for one unfinished piece of business. Peeta. pg. 13

To keep me alive? And then I understand. The Games are still on. We have left the arena, but since Peeta and I weren't killed, his last wish to preserve my life still stands. His idea is to have me lie low, remain safe and imprisoned, while the war plays out. then neither side will really have cause to kill me. pg. 30

"I'm going to be the Mockingjay." pg. 31

No comments: